We are all still on Christmas Break (except Rachel went back today so I suppose not "all") and I left the 2 boys home with their father while I ran errands. I was pulling into the driveway just as my cell phone rang and I saw Andrew and Paul coming out of the front door.
Andrew was holding the house phone, and Paul was a blubbering mess. Paul came tearing to my side of the car and as I opened the door, he was crying "Daddy's gone. We can't find him."
Kevin's truck was right next to mine in the driveway so my first thought was he was being obnoxious and not answering the kids' calls for him in the house. But Andrew quickly verified that they had searched the house and screamed his name over and over.
Meanwhile, I had picked Paul up and wasn't sure I was going to shake him free.
Turns out Kevin went next door to ask a question and most likely told them but the kids have those specialty ears named I-Only-Hear-What-I-Want-To-Hear, they never heard it.
Point of this story is that these kids are NEVER going to sleep in their own rooms again. Do they sleep there now?
Let's see if I remember how to insert a photo of the dear boys before I add to this tale....
| Has nothing to do with anything except that I never posted this photo and that I still remember how to post photos! |
Then one night, right before Christmas break, Paul woke up from a bad dream to discover his brother gone. And that sealed it for Paul - he was NOT going to sleep alone in that room. If Andrew thought something was scary in there, then Paul thought so too.
I did get Andrew to admit he was scared about the window and in general, the bogeyman outside.
So I lost all rationale and went to Walmart and bought a camping cot. Now one kid sleeps on the couch in our room and the other sleeps on the cot. Parenting win!
At some point I'll read the child anxiety book I've got and deal with it. But in the meantime....
![]() |
| This is a real book. And I purchased it. And I swear it was written for me. |

No comments:
Post a Comment