Friday, March 5, 2010

Andrew W and the Missing Shoes

It's like a good Scooby Doo mystery.  Only it didn't get solved in a half hour.  In fact, it's dragged out for a week now.  And they mystery has deepened.


Last Saturday afternoon, Andy couldn't find his shoes.  The newer shoes.  The ones that fit.  The only newer shoes that fit.  So he threw on his torn up older shoes that don't really fit.  And I told him he couldn't play Lego Batman on the Wii until he found his shoes.


We never found the shoes.  Andy "looked" and then actually looked when he realized I was serious about Lego Batman.  Kevin looked.  I looked.  Baskets of laundry were dumped out.  Toy chests were dumped out.  The backyard was scoured.  Neighbors were questioned.  Beds were looked under.  Bathroom cabinets were examined.  


Nada.  The shoes were MIA.  So I did what any logical person would do when an item is missing; I went to the shoe store to buy another pair of shoes.  Because the Law of Lost Items is that as soon as you replace the item, the missing one will show up.  Unfortunately for me, there's fine print in that Law of Lost Items - "if the lost item's replacement can also be beneficial to the owner,  then said lost item will stay lost for an indefinite period of time following purchase of replacement."  A seven year-old boy actually could use two pair of shoes - one that's clean and one that's muddy.


Crud.  So here we are a week later and the shoes are still gone.  And yes, I finally let him play Lego Batman because it was now obvious that the Patron Saint of Lost Items wasn't coming through for us.


This morning I went into the laundry room to get his dress shirt for Mass.  White, button down, collared shirt.  It wasn't hanging up where the clothes that should have been put away were hanging.  So I traipsed down to the boys' closet, mildly amused that I might have put clean clothes away where they belong.  But no.  No shirt hanging.  Well, double crud.  That means I didn't wash the shirt from last week.  So, I schlepped my way back to the laundry room and emptied each laundry basket out.  No shirt.  


That's the point that I got frustrated.  I looked all over the floors of our various rooms for a white collared shirt that didn't even make it to the laundry room.  Nada.


And then it hit me right between the eyes.  The shirt was last worn on Friday.  With the shoes.  So wherever the shoes are, so is the shirt.  I think there was a gleam of interest/excitement in my aura at that point.  BUT it was 45 minutes before school started, so no time to investigate. 


Because we had to go to WalMart and purchase a new shirt for his dress uniform before school.  


The worst part, right now, as I'm typing this?  The dress shirt probably falls under the fine print of the Law of Lost Items...which means I shouldn't even bother to look.


But by jenkies, Scooby and I will solve this mystery.  Someday, at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment