Sunday, February 22, 2009

Do You Know Where Your Daughter Is?

That's essentially the question that came out of my dad's mouth Saturday evening when he phoned me at 7:30pm. I was at Lowes with the boys and distracted, as Andy was using the self-checkout and I really didn't want him over-scanning items. I think the actual question was "Is there any chance that Rachel could be downtown?"

I heard: "It's Saturday night. You have a teenage daughter on the loose. Do you have any idea where she is right now?"

I think I stopped Andy from scanning the Diego trowel twice and replied something to the effect of "I know exactly where my daughter is. Why?"

"Because someone called us and said they thought they saw Rachel in Bricktown."

I had to smile. "That's exactly where my daughter is." And she was, at a birthday party for a friend, with parental supervision. Chalk one up for the mom; her daughter was downtown on a Saturday night and she knew all about it.

Turns out my brother and his wife were in Bricktown and they could have sworn Rachel was walking the streets with a gaggle of girls. Being the dutiful aunt and uncle that they are, they tried to rat her out. Which is great by me (and, not going to lie, a bit humorous since both brothers probably could have used a dedicated relative to rat them out a few times in high school).

There are eyes everywhere, Rachel. I've said it before and I'll say it again - don't ever underestimate the power of the mom network.

No comments:

Post a Comment