Friday, December 5, 2008

More "Advent"ures

3rd Day: Read part of the Christmas story from the Bible.
We opted to use a children's bible, for all of our sakes. We also opted to sneak back into our bedroom and away from the "Wow wow" of Wubbzy, thinking that perhaps that might be distracting (Paul stayed with Wubbzy).

Andy wanted to bring the nativity back too. I said only Mary and Joseph, since that would be the first part of our reading. Andy yelled out "What about Jesus?" To which Rachel hollered back "Jesus isn't invited."

Yup, we've definitely got the spirit. And it gets better.

I read the story outloud and pointed to my children to fill in the blanks with words like "Joseph", "Bethlehem", and so forth. Both of them filled in the blanks appropriately, although at one point when Rachel supplied an answer that Andrew didn't know, he retorted that he has been Catholic longer than she has been. Kevin and I stopped Rachel in her tracks before she could blister him.

The best part was definitely the most sacreligious though. I halted in the story, pointed at Andy for an answer and he says "Hold on. I've got to get Jesus out." And his hand starts digging under his "joeys" for the holy infant.

Who had apparently ignored his lack of invitation to the party and showed up anyway. And ended up (thankfully on the outside of the pajamas) under Andy's hiney.

Side note #1: Kevin has taught our son to say the word "joeys", as in baby kangaroos. Since both carry their spawn in a pouch....I hope you catch on here.

Side note #2: The baby Jesus has had a rough year and by the looks of it so far, it might not be getting much better. Sometime in June, I found the holy infant in the box with the Lincoln Logs. From a distance, he does resemble a Lincoln Log. And it is kind of pathetic that when I packed up the nativity last year, I didn't notice that the key player was missing.

No comments:

Post a Comment