Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Proud Momma

There are moments in motherhood in which you find yourself bursting with pride over the craziest of things. There's the I'm-so-proud-you-can-tie-your-shoelaces proud. And there's the I'm-so-proud-you-didn't-keep-licking-the-antiviral-kleenexes-like-your-crazy-classmates-and-pretending-to-get-high proud (yes, and it's another story). Then there's the basic I'm-so-proud-because-you-got-it-right proud.

Rachel had a fairly huge project to put together about the Holocaust. She chose to do it over German propaganda, i.e. anti-Semitism and "don't worry about what the Furer is doing cuz it's all in your best interest." She chose to draw a political cartoon as part of her project. I explained the purpose of political cartoons, gave some examples and wondered if she would really get it. She's 14. There's an edge to political cartoons and I wasn't sure that she would really comprehend that edge.




But she did. And the result above is one of my I'm-so-proud-because-you-got-it-right moments. With a pumped fist in the air. In case you can't see the picture too well, there is a fence behind the two German citizens. On the fence are signs saying "Mega Mall coming soon!" and "Fun Fun Fun". The German citizens are excited because they blindly believe that behind that fence is a Mega Mall in construction. After all, the German government has told them to have faith, that they are doing nothing wrong. But behind the fence is a concentration camp and the German citizens would never question their leader - why would they? He's a good guy.

She got it. And she got full points for the entire project.

1 comment:

  1. YEAH RACHEL!!!!!
    Proud Aunt too! I don't think I ever would get that at 14. In fact it took me until I was in college before I ever really understood a political cartoon.
    (probably should not admit that)

    ReplyDelete