Thursday, September 6, 2012

My Baby Gets His First Girlfriend

Here is the conversation from this afternoon:

Paul:  "Mawm, there's a girl named Sophia in my class and I am her girlfriend."

Me:  "You mean, she is YOUR girlfriend?"

Paul:  "Yeah.  She is my girlfriend."

Me:  "Does she know this?"  Because we girls are fairly clueless sometimes.  Not.

Paul:  "Yes."

Me:  "How does she know this?  How do you know she is your girlfriend?  Did you walk up to her and ask her to be your girlfriend?"

Paul:  "Yes. I mean, no.  No."

Me:  "Then how do you know she's your girlfriend?"

Paul:  "Because Cooper and I raced to see who got her as a girlfriend.  And I won."

Me: (laughing my hiney off) "So did Sophia watch this race?"

Paul: "Yes."

Me:  "And was she happy that you won?"

Paul:  "I don't know.  But I was happy that I won!"

And this marks the end of the first conversation with my youngest kid about his first girlfriend.  And his first competition to see who could win the girl.  It seems a bit early to start on the "girls are NOT property or trophies that you win, son."  Or, "do you even care what SHE thinks?"  Because chances are, Sophia does not care right now.  

So let's do a summary of my children's first "significant others."  Rachel was paid two dollars by Michael Schwarz in first grade to be his girlfriend - they got married on the playground later that year.  Andrew declared his love for Melissa in PreK and held steadfast through the end of Kindergarten....remember, he was the one who said when he married Melissa that they would sleep on our floor until we died and then they could have our bed.  

So there you have it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment