We had another round of snow, although not a blizzard. Still schools shut down and snowmen were built.
Paul will start full day PreK in the fall, so I have about 6 months left of this kind of activity. Yes, I know we will always have the weekends, but I also have 3 other people here on the weekends.
Rachel loves to bake and cook and she's actually been teaching me a lot. Andrew was always very controlling about helping me with cookie/brownie/muffin preparations, in the sense of "I can do it myself and I want to use the 1/4 cup instead of the 1/3 cup." He was harder. Plus, he had a tendency to get wailing upset over spills. Paul? Not so much, as evidenced by the photo above.
I feel obliged to stick in a memory here. Trying to recall kitchen memories with my mom, I have two distinct ones. I loved to make stove pudding, because the challenge was to keep stiring with the fun sploingy whisky-thing without feeling like your hand was going to burn off. I'm not sure if I made it through the whole pudding making process, but I remember always wanting to try. Second is getting to sift flour for the infamous sugar cookies. My kids love the flour too; the scooping and then the leveling and the softness of it all. Oh, and then getting to pour cupfuls of the flour mixture into the sugar cookie dough.
There is one more kitchen memory, but has nothing to do with cooking. Someone thought it would be a fabulous to have my parents give me my allergy shots. Who does that to a little kid? Your home is supposed to be safe from things like needles and pain...sheesh. I have a lodged in memory of hiding my tiny self behind either the stove or fridge and probably adding a good soundtrack to the kitchen.
Hmm.
Moving on. I think the Tale of Rachel's Toe is worth its own post.Next time.




No comments:
Post a Comment