It's a Box. An extra large oven box specifically. And in case you didn't know this, a large Box is precisely what kids want. You stick a kid in Toys R Us and offer him the world, he will let you buy the world for you. And then he will shove the world aside and say "I'm bored." You tell a kid "hey, there's a box in the back of the van" and immediately they are intrigued.
"What kind of box? Is it big? What's in it? Can I have it? Can I fit in it? How many people can fit in it? Can I cut it up into a castle? Can I cut windows in it? A door? Ooh, we could put a blanket over the top of it." And that's just the resident teenager's questions. She's 16 and should be too old to play in a Box. She was also the first one in it.
Her two friends joined her next. Then Paul squished in. Let me restate this - three juniors in high school got into The Box Bbfore the small kids did.
Look at the confused dogs. "Why are you guys in there? Should we be in there too? Is it a dog party? Do you have yummy food in there?"
Because two boxes are better than one, the kids scrounged up a smaller yet quite suitable box to play alongside The Box.
And for the next hour they bounced around in The Box on high volume. One or more kids got in The Box and proceeded to rock it 'til it fell over. Then they all laughed hysterically because it was pretty funny. And then they rocked the box back up right. Rinse and repeat every 21 seconds for the next hour. I have some good video of this, but the photos just didn't turn out so good. Probably because The Box was just that magnificent.
It could have lasted for hours upon hours but after one hour, the shrieking that accompanied the laughter was grating on my nerves. So I shut it down. No more tumbling in The Box.
I never said they couldn't sit or lay in The Box. And believe me they did. Sometimes it amazes me how long a small child will sit still when there's a box on his head.
I think The Box has about 2 hours to live today. It's pretty beat up. There will be mourning but a good time was had by all.
RIP The Box.






No comments:
Post a Comment