Sunday, July 18, 2010

New Line of Thinking

Scenario:  I took the boys over to a friend's house to play with her kids while she and I watched trashy television for an hour.  I told the boys there would be no running, screaming or loud playing.  It would be quiet play.  My friend and I looked at her girl and my Andy and told them they were responsible for not getting Paul all keyed up and that if they didn't run and/or scream about the house, he wouldn't either. 

And an hour and a half later, I was genuinely shocked to realize that they had followed orders almost perfectly.  Shocked, I tell you.


Parenting By Kristin (pre-summer vacation):  Gosh, they did so awesome.  They did what I asked them to do and did it so well.  Golly, I'm so proud of their behavior they deserve a treat, like a run through McDonalds or something.

Parenting By Kristin (mid to post-summer vacation):  Gosh, they did so awesome.  They did what I asked them to do and did it so well.  Golly, I'm so proud of their behavior they deserve a treat and that treat is they don't get beat tonight or sold on eBay.  They are allowed to live one more day and that is way better than any Happy Meal toy.

Why, yes.  Parenting is a learning process.  Children shouldn't be bribed for good behavior, unless that bribery is living to see another day.  See, I'm learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment