Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Bellybuttons & Secrets

Rachel stayed home today with the typical high school "illness." Read "lack of sleep." But she did throw up last night, so I allowed her to stay home on the off chance that she really did have a bug (which she does not).

After dropping Andrew off at school, I snuck into her room while she was still sleeping to grab a DVD for Paul that somehow managed to end up in the black hole she calls her "crib." And as I turned around, I saw it.

The covers had been thrown off and her teeshirt was pulled up a bit, exposing the glimmer of a bellybutton ring that somehow I had failed to notice this winter (go figure - no swimsuits). And I got closer and checked and it looked authentic. And then something woke her up - might have been a shriek emanating from me.

The story came out - her buddy Kathryn and her older brother had done it a few weekends ago while she spent the night over there. Naturally, my first question wasn't "why the heck?" but "didn't that hurt?" "Yes," is the answer I got.

To make matters worse, it's infected, or at least I think it is since I have little experience with bellybutton rings (Aunt Christi, any advice here?). Red and angry looking and apparently tender to the touch, as evidenced by the fact that she hollered when I poked it (and let's be honest, I wasn't exactly feeling gentle so there's a chance I poked rather hard).

Crap, crap, crap. I don't recall this being in the later chapters of "What To Expect When You're Expecting," but it should be. Or at least, there should be some handout that the world gives you when your kid hits that rebellious age.

And do you know what else? Oh, there's more; I'm not done yet (sorry, ahead of time). But...

April Fools.

Have a great day.

5 comments:

  1. and I was just congratulating myself that I had made an april fools without falling for something. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot my rule for the day to assume everything is false until tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel would look cute with a bellybutton ring. I have done it myself a couple of times and I know how to make it not hurt. So if she would like one I could help with that.
    I have always seen her with more of one of those cute little I am talking tee-tiny nose rings that just kind of sparkle every once and a while though.
    Have her come to me because I now owe you one because you got me on this silly joke! Even putting me in the story...shoot

    ReplyDelete
  4. To the Vaughn Family: With love of course! My neice would not look cute with a bellybutton ring. I deal with juvenile deliquents everyday and for girls the bellybutton ring is a gateway to misbehaviors and other unmentionalbes! Rachel is not getting one why she is underage! Over my dead body! Your Aunt Christy

    ReplyDelete
  5. You seem to have misunderstood the joking tone of the comment.
    I do however think our niece would look good in whatever she chose.
    With Love-
    Aunt Christi

    ReplyDelete