Rachel needed new glasses for school. It's a weak prescription, but it is still glasses. She had 2 pair last year that were cute, small glasses. So we went to Eyemart Express, where to my horror were all the frames available in 1983, when I got glasses.
Huge, round, awful frames. Thick frames. Not that the frames need to be thick anymore, since they developed that awesome poly-something lens that is half the thickness and weight and doesn't require a sturdy frame to keep it in check. That same awesome poly-something that they developed after I spent years and years with thick frames and thick lenses. Thus contributing to that rather awkward stage between 5 and 26 years old.
I was sucking in breath, trying to keep from screaming as she put awful frame after awful frame on her face. Finally she picked out a black pair, not wire rimmed, but small, rectangly and cute on her face.
Sigh of relief. Then the ever-so-helpful salesman pointed out that she could pick out another frame from the same group for 15 bucks more, lenses included, and then she'd have two.
And she pounced on these below. I said no. I pleaded. I tried to work up some tears and a sob story about being teased as a kid for awful glasses. And the more I pushed against them, the more firm she set herself on having them (ack, I never did learn reverse psychology right).

Hello Rachel. Super Dork or Super Cool? You decide. I can already hear each and every one of you..."Kristin, you are such a mean mom. Where's your maternal urges to think only the best of your daughter? Rachel looks cute in anything she wears, no matter what her crazy mom says..." But I am telling you, when your old Sally Jesse Raphael glasses combine with your dad's high school yearbook glasses to land on your daughter's face, you do go "what the heck?!?"
I would have to say, it works because and only because it is Rachel.
ReplyDelete