I feel like rambling a bit tonight, mostly because of a query that I put out a couple months ago that was never truly answered. And I think, I think I have the answer and should another exasperated mom out there attempt to Google the answer, perhaps I'll show up under the search engine as a potential answer. And just make her day.
There's a NickJr show called "The Backyardigans." It involves a penguin, a moose, a kangaroo, a hippo and another creature that meet in their conjoined backyards of suburban America. And they entertain themselves by imagining that their backyard is full of adventure and they traipse around the "world" having fun. It's a cute show, a little weird, but cute.
The creature in question is a pink, polka-dotted something named Uniqua. When I first tuned into this show, I spent forever trying to figure out what animal she was. I finally called a friend, who told me that this was the question of the century. And that Uniqua was simply unique, hence her name. And I more or less accepted that explanation, although it was never completely settled in the back of my mind.
About a week ago, Andy and the neighborhood kids were outside playing some game that involved each of them being a superhero. All I overheard was Andy scolding one of them with "But Tigger is not a superhero. You have to be a superhero." And my hand hit my forehead and I went "duh."
The Backyardigans are not animals living in suburban, 2-story houses. They are kids pretending to be animals. So you got a moose, a penguin, a kangaroo, a hippo and a...a...weird creature. Because there is always, always, always the kid who wants to be different. Actually, the kid who just has to be different. And sometimes those kids are so intent on being different, they'll just make something up so nobody can ever try and claim it from them.
"Let's all pick superheros to be be!"
"I'm going to be Tigger!"
"But Tigger isn't a superhero."
"I'm going to be Tigger!"
"You can't be Tigger, you have to be superhero!"
"I'm going to be Tigger!"
And finally, the rest of the group just accepts that one kid is not going to conform and it's just as easy for them to pretend Tigger is a superhero. Or some weird pink, polka-dotted creature.
No comments:
Post a Comment